This seems to have been the most overused phrase in my fresher’s week back in Edinburgh. Not wanting to overwhelm friends, family and teachers with a long list of adjectives and anecdotes, this question tended to get the understated answer of “it was great, thanks”.
I have now been back for a few weeks, and I figured it is time to award this question with a well deserved answer.
“My year abroad has been the best experience”
I realise it may sound cliche, or perhaps hyperbolic – but my time in Geneva truly was incredible!
Ok there were definite moments where I asked myself “what am I doing here?”…
- When the supermarkets closed at 18:30pm
- When EVERYTHING is closed on a Sunday
- When every song in a club was a salsa one – I cannot salsa dance
- When I was charged 25 CHF for a cocktail
Despite these little frustrations, I have come away with a new confidence and many funny stories…
- “Illegally” adopting two pet goldfish in my halls and naming each one after the horrid woman in charge. Geraldine and Mattieu, may they RIP, were great friends.
- Being told off by my neighbour for “illegally” bringing a group of friends back to my room post 11pm
- Having a power cut within the first few days of moving in
- Living with a Genevan cult
I cannot believe how fast this year has gone by! I am now so excited to enjoy my last year of Edinburgh, how hectic it may be, and make the most of my experience here before venturing off on a new adventure 🙂
Here’s to a great year!